If you use MailChimp, segments are a great tool if you need to further market to people within a group. This article will walk you through how to exclude subscribers from your list using segments in MailChimp to encourage higher engagement.
We recently ran into a scenario where we had a client who was using their email campaign to send out a survey to their database of about 2000 people. A little over 200 of those people took the survey when we first send it out. We still had a few weeks before we needed to compile the data, so we wanted to send out another email reminder to get more people to take the survey. Each person was only allowed to take the survey one time, so we didn’t want to send the email to the entire group of 2000 again and frustrate those who had already taken the survey.
We ended up utilizing an existing list within their MailChimp account and then creating a segment of people to exclude from subsequent emails.
We did the same process when we recently hosted a class and didn’t want to send the class reminder email to those who had already attended the class a week prior. Here’s how we did it.
5 Steps to Exclude Subscribers in MailChimp
1. Open Mailchimp, navigate to ‘Lists’ and click the dropdown for “manage contacts,”, and choose “segments.”
2. Hit “create segments.” On the top right in blue, there is a small link that gives the option to paste in emails. Click that.
3. Click “paste email addresses” Click “Include these emails in your segment.”. Name your segment. (We tried importing them and had issues, but pasting worked well.)
4. Go back to your campaign view. Click on your “TO” preferences, and set up your static segment to exclude the emails you pasted in step 3. Make sure “member is NOT a part of” is selected in the drop-down.
5. Your segment is now created! You can create as many segments as you need to within your lists and play around with adding and removing different segments. MailChimp even has options for pre-made segments if you need some help getting started.
Segmenting your audience can ensure you are providing value to the right groups of people, making their experience with your company more personalized. Personalizing the journey can also help lead to more sales because you can get a better snapshot of what your customer really needs and how much they are willing to pay for it.
Need more help with your email marketing campaigns? Contact us today for a free consultation!