Simple Strategies To Grow Your Email List
Building an email list is an extremely helpful tool for any business. You might be wondering why. After all, you spend time building social profiles, getting website visits, and so many other aspects, why is email so important?
First, emails convert. Compared to people who find your website from SEO or social media, people who get to your website through an email are more likely to purchase.
Emails are also the way that 72% of consumers prefer to be reached by businesses. Keep in mind though, that while people prefer emails, it’s easy to lose subscribers and sometimes it can be hard to get people to part with their email address.
We’re going to share some tips for how to keep people on your email list and a tried and true way to grow your list.
How to keep people from unsubscribing
- The first rule here should be obvious: always share good content. People want to get something helpful or new from your emails. Think about what the people on your list might want. Don’t just think about what you want the people on your email list to do. If you help your audience with a problem they have, they’re more likely to take the action you want anyways.
- Don’t over send. The fastest way to get people to unsubscribe is to send too many emails. A good rule of thumb is to stick with one email per week. This might vary for your audience though. If you’ve been sending one email per month for years and suddenly kick it up to once every week, you might shock your audience. Make any changes gradually but be consistent once you decide how frequently you want to send emails.
- Brand your emails. Make sure people know who these emails are coming from. Each email is a way to express your brand again to these subscribers so it needs to be consistently shown.
- Create exclusive content. This goes along with number one but try to make your emails worthwhile for your audience with exclusive content. If email subscribers are getting exactly what’s on your social media pages, why would they also want to subscribe to your emails? Your content should vary depending on the medium.
How to grow your email list
There are quite a few ways that you can grow your email list but these are some that we’ve found work really well.
- The downloadable freebie method. You might even be on our list because of this. Plenty of businesses use this to grow their list. To do it for your business, you just have to come up with something valuable that you could offer to people that relates to your business. For instance, we offer a freebie with 30 days of content ideas for social media. It’s something that people really are interested in. We set up a system in Kajabi but there are plenty of other systems you can use as well. People just input their email addresses and automatically get sent a freebie. From there, they’re part of your email list.
- Including a newsletter sign up on your website. This is a more passive approach to building your list but you should make sure you have somewhere on your website that encourages people to sign up. It could be something encouraging people to download your freebie or even just a simple sign up option but it should always be present.
- Get people to sign up in-person. We recently worked with a client that tabled at conferences. It can be as simple as having a sheet of paper for people to put their email address on or you can even have an in-person giveaway that encourages people to sign up. For some businesses, having a special available to those who sign up in-person can also be effective.
- Social media giveaways. Giveaways are a good way to grow your email list and your social media likes/followers. You can give away your products, branded items, coupons, or more. There are plenty of options for this but a few that we’d recommend include ViralSweep and Shortstack. People enter the giveaway with their email address and can get extra entries for liking or following you on other social media sites.
- Lead generation advertisements. Facebook advertising offers an option for lead generation ads. These ads allow people who are interested to click on the ad and have their email address automatically populated based on what they’ve given Facebook. Then they just need to click submit to register. You can set these up in a variety of ways. For instance, if you did the freebie option in #1, Facebook even has options to send the freebie automatically through Facebook Messenger. This is a bit more of an advanced option but if you’re interested in learning more about Facebook ads, we just launched our Facebook DIY for Business course that can help get you up to speed.
Hopefully, these tips will help you start building your email list. Remember, part of good marketing is testing and evaluating so go ahead and try some of these things out and see what works best for you and your audience. You might find that while some people have great success with giveaways, maybe your ideal audience doesn’t care about that. You should constantly be evaluating what you’re doing to make sure it’s working the way you want.
Hey, look! A downloadable freebie ⬇️😉